The Lambs continue their fine form

Ben Fox
Ben Fox

With both Lewis Daw and Dave Hallett unavailable Jake Miller and Tegan Rosenquest returned to the starting line-up.

The Lambs almost took the lead in the opening minute when a fine move saw Josh Robins and Josh Grant exchange passes; the latter found Jack Crago and his cross into penalty area resulted in Ben Cross shooting over the bar.

The home team deservedly took the lead in the eighth minute after a great cross field ball from Ben Cross found Crago on the left; he cut inside his marker into the penalty area before slotting the ball into the far corner of the net.

Tavistock continued to dominate possession forcing the Camelford defence to concede several corner kicks as the visitors were restricted to the occasional counter attack. Camelford defended these set pieces really well with goal keeper Hurst making a couple of really good saves to deny the home team from increasing their lead.

In the 20th minute Camelford had a great chance to level when home goalie Josh Oak was adjudged to have fouled Penrose in the penalty area as he went down to take the ball off the forward’s feet. The referee awarded a penalty kick, but Josh Grant pulled off a magnificent save diving low down to his left, turning the ball that looked destined to find the corner of the net around the post for a corner kick.

This let-off stirred the Lambs to up their game. Tegan Rosenquest made a terrific penetrating run brushing aside three defenders but his shot was well saved by keeper Hurst.

In the 24th minute the Lambs doubled their lead when from a corner kick Jake Miller’s excellent cross found the far top corner of the net.

The Lambs were now in complete control and it came as no surprise when they increased their lead 11 minutes later, when Tegan Rosenquest made another great run; his fierce shot was parried by Hurst but the ball fell to Josh Grant who rammed the ball home from 15 yards.

In the 36th minute the home team made it four, when a splendid 50 yard cross field found Crago, who fired a first time cross into the penalty area; Luke Brown flashed the ball home, giving Hurst no chance of saving.

Tavistock continued to dominate the game and though they had chances they failed to add to their goal tally before the interval.

The second half continued with the Lambs dominating proceedings, but thanks to some really good last ditch defending and some excellent goal keeping by Hurst, they frustrated the home team. Grant, Crago and Rosenquest were all denied by three excellent saves by Hurst.

The home team were now becoming frustrated by not increasing their lead and it began to show in their play, as they pushed more and more people forward they became short of numbers at the back when the counter attacks occurred.

The visitors reduced the arrears in the 72nd minute, when a counter attack saw the home team short at the back, Hambly took full advantage as his shot from 18 yards, took a slight deflection which took it past Oak into the net.

Camelford scored their second goal when a poor clearance by Oak was picked up thirty yards from goal, a fine pass found Cowling, who found the corner of the net from 20 yards.

The Lambs saw the remainder of the game out to record another league victory, keeping them in contention with the top teams.

Although not at their best the Lambs swarmed all over Camelford during this match, and should have won the game by a much bigger margin. They missed numerous chances to score, but were denied by a very good goal keeping performance by Hurst in the Camelford goal and some below par finishing. Their frustration saw them concede two poor goals in the second half; this is something they must not let happen against the top teams, or they will get punished.

Tavistock AFC     4

Camelford            2