Search

18 Feb 2026

Well-known Plymouth fire station set for multi-million pound makeover

Plans have been approved to transform Camels Head Fire Station, which has served Plymouth for over 60 years

Camels Head Fire Station (Image- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service)

Camels Head Fire Station (Image- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service)

A new fire station is set to be built in Plymouth after plans were approved to rebuild Camels Head Fire Station at its current location.

Members of the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Authority agreed to proposals at a meeting on Monday, 16 February. 

READ NEXT: West Devon and South Hams businesses urged to shape region’s tourism future

Camels Head Fire station, based off Weston Mill Drive, has served Plymouth for more than 60 years.

The current building is considered to have ‘reached the end’ of its operational life

It will be replaced with a modern, purpose-built facility designed to provide improved working conditions for firefighters and better support emergency response across the city.

The multi-million pound project represents a significant investment in Plymouth by Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.

Last year, the Service carried out a public engagement exercise with residents, staff, community groups and partner organisations. 

The engagement examined different options for where Plymouth’s fire and rescue resources could be located in the future.

In developing the business case, the Service reviewed feedback from the engagement alongside an assessment of local fire and rescue risks. 

This included consideration of the specialist response required for nearby Devonport naval base, as well as a review of feasible alternative sites.

Following that process, the Authority concluded that rebuilding Camels Head Fire Station at its current site was the best option for the community and emergency partners.

Chief Fire Officer Gavin Ellis said the decision marked an important milestone.

“This is a big step forward in building and enabling a fire service that is fit for the future within Plymouth,” he said.

He added: “The new station will provide a modern and better-equipped base for our crews and create improved opportunities for community engagement.”

Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Luke Pollard also welcomed the decision.

“This investment secures the future of fire cover in our city and recognises the vital role crews at Camels Head play in keeping Plymouth safe,” he said.

He added: “Rebuilding on the existing site means firefighters can continue serving the community they know so well, while benefiting from facilities that meet modern standards.”

Planning and design work will now begin on the rebuild, with the project remaining subject to a full business case and planning permission. 

The Service has said plans will include arrangements to maintain emergency response cover while construction takes place.

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.